There are certain moments in your life when you realize that you have to change something about yourself if you’re going to continue to be the best version of yourself. For RFL of SL, this is one of those moments.
Our event has a rich history that combines tradition with a desire to adapt. The key to that combination is to make sure that our adaptations are appropriate for what our community and our world needs us to be. It also means that as we change, we have to be willing to let go of other things that we may never have considered. And we have to make sure that all of our decisions are aligned with our core values. So the real first step in Project: Relay Refresh would be to articulate what exactly are our core values?
- Our primary fundraising model is peer-to-peer fundraising and “do-it-yourself” event planning. We value the volunteer role as someone who asks other people to donate because of your commitment to the cause, and/or to those people who plan their own independent fundraising events, where proceeds are donated back to the American Cancer Society.
- We value transparency and recognition for ‘my’ contribution to the total.
- The Relay For Life of Second Life is a life-changing event. No event in Second Life matches that experience 1:1. The experience is the beauty and interactivity of the regions, combined with the emotional support of the community.
- We treat each other with respect.
- We give of ourselves in an effort to support the success of the event, the organization, and its reputation.
- We set aside our personal agenda to help each other have a good experience.
- Experienced veterans should be inspiration to the ‘up-and-comers” while the ‘up-and-comers’ should be encouraged to blaze new trails.
- The people and communities who participate in our event are able to express themselves in their own way.
Our tradition of embracing change has prepared us for what is about to come. Your responses to the survey have been incredibly helpful in highlighting the specific shape of these changes. Some of the changes may feel dramatic as they will impact the fundraising season, our model, our structure, what we expect of each other, as we want get back to the heart of why you choose to fight cancer through Relay For Life of Second Life above all other options you might have. Most importantly, amidst all the changes, we will not lose our ability to recognize that we are Relay!
Some areas that we seek to address are:
- Creating an environment where everyone feels comfortable talking to and working with each other
- Finding the balance between solid event leadership and “The People’s Relay”
- Respecting all volunteers, donors, and supporters’ time and all types of donations
- You don’t have to ask permission to raise money for ACS
- Event leadership: structure & responsibilities
- Season start/end, Relay weekend
- Fundraising Club, Fundraising Guidelines, Fundraising tools, Awards
- Off-season / In-season
We ask for your trust in and your commitment to our core values, and we offer our commitment to that behind every change, those core values are what guides us.